Thursday, August 24, 2006

OH ISH!

Growing up and even still today my grandmother uses the word "Ish", when she didn't like something. For example, if she saw something on television she didn't like, she would say "oh ISH!, turn the channel!"

I honestly don't know what the hell the word means? I've looked is up in the dictionary and even the internets, I've found nothing. I'm pretty sure it's some type of Swedish slang. The scary part is, I've found myself using this word and others, the older I get.

I've actually found that I use a lot of words my parents and grandparents use that I wouldn't have been caught dead using just a few years ago.

So, for sheer entertainment and because I'm easily amused, I'm going to attempt to give you a list of made up words my family uses. And then try to use each of them in a sentence. Observe...
  1. Funna : "I'm funna go to the store"
  2. Ish: "Don't eat that, that's Ish!"
  3. Sididdy: "Did you see how Sididdy she was?"
  4. Scotche: "Just move it a scotche to the left"
  5. Slip Shod: "Don't do a slip shod job!"

These are just a few that I could think of off the top of my head. Yes, my family's crazy. It really sucks when, I'm talking to friends and slip one of the above words into a sentence. They just kinda look at me as though I'm speaking a foreign language.

I wonder if any of you have heard or used any of these words? I'm sure you and your family have made up words that are being thrown around all the time. You can't fool me, I can see it in your eyes.

9 Comments:

Blogger acw said...

I've heard scotche and slip shod.

Thu Aug 24, 02:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This girl I was seeing said ish all the time... I think it's a replacement for shit.

The senior designer at the advertising agency I used to work at used to say scotche alot when he was asking me to change something in my design..."Move that image over a scotche..."

He also would wear these dark frame glasses but only when he had to get all snazzed up for a meeting with a client. I called them his smart glasses.

Thu Aug 24, 03:29:00 PM  
Blogger Mr. Anthrope said...

Sididdy - Is that anything like P Diddy?

Thu Aug 24, 07:48:00 PM  
Blogger tfg said...

Whenever we would say something stupid, my maternal grandmother would say, "You're talking like a man with a paper asshole." I'm real sure what it means, but it's got a nice ring to it.

Fri Aug 25, 01:28:00 AM  
Blogger Crashtest Comic said...

My Grandmother crapped out.

Sat Aug 26, 01:20:00 PM  
Blogger puerileuwaite said...

Holy crap! Please tell me that Jody Foster did NOT base her "Nell" character on you! Because that would totally creep me out.

I have heard "scotche" and "slip shod". In fact, my blog was recently described as a "scotche slip shod". It was a wonderful compliment.

Sat Aug 26, 07:59:00 PM  
Blogger Crashtest Comic said...

Doesn't anyone care that my Gramma crapped out?

Sat Sep 02, 01:35:00 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Just passing by!

We (people living in midwestern minnesota) say ish all the time. I think it's a shortend version of ishy, which is a kids way of saying icky. Makes sense to me anyway.

Sat Sep 02, 10:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In re to the previous comment... growing up in MN I heard that phrase all of the time. I vividly remember my buddy's mom and school teachers constantly saying "Oh Ish!" or "Ishy!" whenever someone had a runny nose or somthing else similar. After moving away from MN I haven't heard it since! Weird.

Fri Oct 20, 10:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home