Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving Dinner, Homeless Style!

Hello my dear blogging friends!

I have an important announcement, there will be no big announcement as I first told you about a few months ago. Sadly, the entire plan fell through and I am still stuck in HELL. Needless to say, I'm working on my next plan of escape and I will keep you up to date as often as possible.

ANYWAY, because I'm still stuck here and I'm not able to go home and visit family for Thanksgiving, I've decided to make the best of things while I'm here.

You should all be very proud of me as I'm going to go help the less fortunate people on earth (aka) Homeless folk, and work at a Mission/Soup Kitchen on Thanksgiving day!

I know, it's so exciting! I mean, I can't wait to write about my entire experience on my blog once I get back! Just think of all the pictures I can take with my camera phone of hungry dirty homeless people!

I mean....*cough* ummm NOT that that's why I'm volunteering my precious time to these people. Of course I want to help them, show some love and compassion towards these street dwellers.

I do however have a few questions that I'd like to ask the Mission/Soup Kitchen staff once I get there. So I've put together a list of very important questions that I will be presenting to the staff leader once I enter the world of homelessness.


#1 Will I have to touch the homeless people?


#2 Will I be speaking to any crazy old people?


#3 Will there be hand sanitizer handy at all times or do I need to bring my own?


#4 What if I get the HIV while serving mashed potatoes?


#5 Can I wear rubber gloves when greeting our guests?


#6 Am I allowed to take some of the food home with me?


#7 Will there be names drawn for prizes throughout the night and may I participate?


#8 Is it alright if I bring some vodka and orange juice for myself?


#9 Will I be getting a 15 minute break at some point during the evening?


#10 Will I be expected to stick around after to help clean up or will the honeless people be doing that?


Alright, enough crazy talk! In all seriousness people, I am very honored and humbled to have the opportunity to help and serve people during the Holidays.

This is honestly something that I've wanted to do for a very long time and I hope that I'll be able to make some people smile and give a little hope on Thursday. I'll let you know how it goes!

Listen everyone, be safe and have a great Thanksgiving!

14 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Those guys eat garbage the other 364 days out of the year, so you'll be a big hit!

Seriously, that's a nice thing you're doing, Rev.

Tue Nov 20, 10:22:00 PM  
Blogger Sassy Blondie said...

That's fabulous, Rev! I used to help serve at the local soup kitchen, but I'm having a Jewish Thanksgiving with my best friend and her family this year! Woo hoo!

Sorry you couldn't visit your family though. XOXO

Tue Nov 20, 11:17:00 PM  
Blogger Mighty Dyckerson said...

Good luck with your missionary position! Better take lots of lube. Those bums get plenty horny!

Wed Nov 21, 05:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy thanksgiving

Wed Nov 21, 11:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just snuck over from Jenny!'s blog

Hope things went well today with the homeless. That is a very cool thing to do!

Thu Nov 22, 08:13:00 PM  
Blogger The Charming Hedonist said...

Good luck with the bums! (It really IS a wonderful thing you're doing).

And, don't get stabbed.

Happy Thanksgiving and all of that.

Thu Nov 22, 09:26:00 PM  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

How'd it go?

Thu Nov 22, 10:37:00 PM  
Blogger puerileuwaite said...

Just think of it this way: each one that you take home will no longer be homeless. And later on, when they do flee Casa del Rev, they will be homeless by choice! And perhaps THAT is the greatest gift that you can bestow on them: the gift of freedom to choose.

Fri Nov 23, 09:33:00 AM  
Blogger jali said...

That's wonderful!

Fri Nov 23, 06:49:00 PM  
Blogger Angel said...

awwwww....I love your sense of humor...you were joking, right? I think you were joking....maybe...

Sun Nov 25, 06:50:00 PM  
Blogger RevRee said...

Dr. Ken: I was advised that I should show a little celevage while serving the homeless. That way thay will have something to think about when sleeping in their cardboard box later on in the night...

Sassy: I'm curious what a "Jewish Thanksgiving" is? Are you Kosher with that?....HA!

Dyckerson: One of the homeless ladies told me to tell you "Hello" and asked if you still liked Ben Wah balls?

Bird Man: Thank you! It was a very interesting and humbling experiance. I hope to be able to help out again sometime.

Charming: I saw a guy bring a shiv in with him...but then he saw the pumpkin pie and broke down crying.

Puerileuwaiteeirerhya:
There was ONE slightly good looking homeless man...then someone told me his name was Sarah...

Jali: Happy Thanksgiving darlin!

Tyler: I was tempted to put a little whipped cream on my celevage, but then I thought that was way to crule...

Beth: I'm so glad you enjoy my humor! I was only half joking...
;-)

Sun Nov 25, 08:15:00 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I hope you had a good time and that someone warned you that after you feed the homeless, you have to help them wipe.

Mon Nov 26, 12:06:00 PM  
Blogger The [Cherry] Ride said...

Did the homeless kill you? Its been almost a week.

Wed Nov 28, 03:48:00 PM  
Blogger Frederick Ingram said...

I don't get it. Why the great need for volunteers at the homeless shelter when there are so many unemployed loafing about?

Fri Dec 07, 05:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home