Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Hello lovely blogging friends. I wanted to first tell you that I had an amazing time helping out at the homeless shelter last week for Thanksgiving.

Although it wasn't like anything I had expected, it was a very humbling and truly interesting experience. I wish that I could go in to great detail about how everything went, but I kind of had a few glasses of wine at a friends house before making my way over to the Mission.
Is that bad of me? I mean, should I feel guilty for having a little something to drink prior to showing up? Should I consider myself a hypocrite for arriving to help with the street dwellers smelling of boxed wine?
LISTEN! it was a stressful day, I was kinda nervous and I needed to relax...
I will tell you this, there were WAY to many people volunteering that night. I felt like I was in some type of "Good Samaritan competition" reality show. Those people were really kinda pushy and if you're a newbie as I was to the whole volunteering thing, they don't even acknowledge you exists. I'm not saying that weren't nice or that they didn't care...in fact I think they cared quite a bit...maybe a little too much, if you know what I mean...
ANYWAY! The really inspiring and touching part was the people we were there to help and serve. They were amazing, so grateful, very kind and super hungry. I really wish we could have served them better food. The food looked kind of crappy and not very tasty. Which is alright, I just wish I had more money, I'd be making all of them some really tasty, healthy, amazing food to eat!
One day when I'm independently wealthy, I'll start my own Soup Kitchen and make really good food for everyone to enjoy! I'll call my place "Dinner's on me"!

10 Comments:

Blogger Sassy Blondie said...

Let me know when you get that soup kitchen up and running...I'll donate to the cause. :)

Glad you had a good experience, and no, there's nothing wrong with a few drinks before helping the homeless...at least that's not anywhere in the rule book that I can see! ;)

Wed Nov 28, 07:41:00 PM  
Blogger Mighty Dyckerson said...

I had dinner on RevRee once. I believe it was whipped cream.

Wed Nov 28, 08:52:00 PM  
Blogger The Charming Hedonist said...

Hey, if you boozed up to help the homeless, more power to you. At least you're helping them. Nothing wrong with it in my book!

Wed Nov 28, 10:46:00 PM  
Blogger puerileuwaite said...

If it will make you feel needed, you are welcome to give me a sponge bath. There never seems to be enough volunteers for that. Heck, bring that box of wine, get in the tub with me, and let me show you how to stuff a bird and dish it up.

Wed Nov 28, 10:46:00 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I think if the food is any good it is considered a restaurant.

Fri Nov 30, 12:58:00 PM  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

I bet homeless guys wish every day were Thanksgiving. I nice, indoor meal, NOT out of a garbage can, served up the lovely Revree.

Hell, I kind of want to be a homeless guy now.

Sat Dec 01, 05:28:00 PM  
Blogger Crashtest Comic said...

i wish i were homeless...

Sun Dec 02, 08:47:00 AM  
Blogger The Middle Lifer said...

Do you think they actually smelled your alcohol over their own?
And the "office space" did not end even a in a soup line? Thats sad.
You think it would be nicer when you help out don't you? But it isn't, the others that were there before you look as you as a newbie and one timer, thats reality. Sorry, but atleast you helped out.

Mon Dec 03, 08:40:00 PM  
Blogger Sassy Blondie said...

Rev-where are you??

Wed Dec 05, 05:48:00 PM  
Blogger The Charming Hedonist said...

Um, Rev, did you get abducted?

Sun Dec 09, 07:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home