Monday, July 11, 2005

Who am I?

I have this friend, she said to me the other day "I wish I were Latina" My friend isn't Latino, she's Irish/Italian.

For the last year or so she's been actively involved with the Latin community, taking salsa dancing, tanning more (fake bake, in hopes of becoming darker), learning Spanish, only dating Latino men...that kind of thing. This slightly bothers me.

Why do people want to become something they're not? I have no problem with her or anyone getting involved in different cultures, learning new languages, experiencing wonderful things about other communities, I think that's great, it's healthy and educational.

I just want to know why she feels she needs to change who she is, where she came from, her own culture, community and race to become something else?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home